Monday, June 23, 2014

Easily Distracted

    Today is Monday. Bobby goes off to school in Muizenberg. (Muizenberg is a small beach town in False Bay, about 30 minutes away) I get a chance to get some chores around the house done and try to work on my post to share what we were up to over the weekend. But...every time I try to do something productive, that freaking window sucks me in. I was minding my own business getting ready to do some Pilates when I saw a big fin flap down on the water. I quickly hurried to grab the binoculars and stood at the window and watched two families of whales swim by. Unfortunately it's too hard to get a picture of them. (So if you wanna see them you're just going to have to come over) Needless to say- this darn ocean distracts me. All I want to do is stare and wait for a Killer Whale to pop out so I can hurry downstairs and jump in the water with it!

     Over the weekend I decided we would take a trip to Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens. It is the most famous garden in all of Africa and well known around the world for its beauty. The park is nestled up at the bottom of Table Mountain spanning 88.9 acres. Those of you who know me, know that I am not so much a "nature" kind of girl. I unfortunately chose going to Tiffany's in Paris over the Palace of Versailles. Hindsight is 20/20. Oops. Okay I realize that visiting a palace isn't "nature", I'm just making the point. =) I also realize that visiting a garden isn't roughing it, but to me it practically was. This was my idea of seeing the sights and getting out of my comfort zone. 
     Getting dressed in the morning Bobby walks in the room with his hiking boots out. Puzzled...I decided to switch my shoes to sneakers too. (Of course I wasn't planning on wearing my tieks or anything....that would be silly) After squeezing into uncomfortable shoes we were off. The gardens are about 15 minutes from our house just on the opposite side of the mountain. We arrived, found parking, paid and walked in. Lots of plants. I mean LOTS. This place was just one big gigantic yard full of plants. For some reason I imagined a garden would be something similar to visiting an amusement park or a zoo. Stalls of junk food, shows, souvenirs, etc. I was wrong. It was just plants. 
     Okay okay don't get me wrong. It was pretty, kind of. It's also winter so all the flowers were mostly dormant. In the summer and spring I bet its much prettier. The views of the mountain and the city were pretty spectacular though!! I guess I'm just not into plants. The coolest part (inside the garden) was the smell/touch garden. It was this little walk path that showed off different smelling plants and different textured ones. I enjoyed that part. Also enjoyed walking out... mostly because upon exiting we ran into Romeel. (Bobby's boss) He told us about this restaurant called Moyo by the exit that had traditional African food. He had me at food. ;)

the view of cape flats and the garden
Bobby looking into the pond...
Sun shinning over Table Mountain
South African national flower. Protea



Don't know what it was, just pretty.
     

Getting my face painted
Bobby's appetizer
Pumpkin apple ginger soup

My appetizer
Spicy minced beef samoosas
**EXTREME spice**
My main course
Zulu chicken curry
**AMAZING**
Bobby's main
Karoo lamb
*not so good, we didn't eat it*
My dessert
Dom Pedro
***HOLY SMOKES GOOD***
Bobby's dessert
Cinnamon apple malva

Overall it was a successful trip. We will visit again in the spring. Hope to see more flowers. I wont wear perfume next time either. Enjoy your week everyone. I will have a new post next week if the weather is good this weekend. 
LOL <----as my mom would say. Lots of Love! 

No comments:

Post a Comment